Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Bupkis

Bupkis is a noun (Yiddish).  The word means, absolutely nothing, zero, zip, zilch, nada, squat.  It is a slang word, used mostly in conversation and the spelling will vary.  Sometimes spelled bupkes or bupkus. In Yiddish it literally means “bean”. Also, from the word kozebupkis it means “goat pellets”  Huh?  Okay, I could go many places with this, but I will take the high road.

Some examples of use:

“After pulling the business back off of the brink of bankruptcy, my friend got bupkis for his efforts.”

“When my brother asked me for a loan, I told him that he will get bubkis from me.”

“It is apparent that you know bupkis about planning a vacation."

Okay, kind of a silly word and I don’t really have anything clever to add.  Do you?




1 comment:

  1. Well, if it means beans in Yiddish, beans has been used to describe not much payment or return on something as in "he only got beans for that job." So, I guess beans in this context means bupkis or nothing. Huh. I think it's a "guy" word...I don't think I have ever heard a female use this word!

    ReplyDelete