Sunday, January 15, 2012

Serendipity

The word for this week is Serendipity. [ser-uh n-dip-i-tee] 


Serendipity is defined as the phenomenon of making a discovery of something valuable or agreeable by accident. It is a word coined by Horace Walpole, who says (1754) that he had formed it upon the title of the fairy-tale 'The Three Princes of Serendip', the heroes of which "were always making discoveries, by accidents and sagacity, of things they were not in quest of". Serindip is also the former name for Sri Lanka (Ceylon).


Just saying the word makes me feel good. The anticipation of discovering something that hadn't been considered before with the potential to bring positive change or fortune is an exciting thought. How joyful it must be to live in the wonderment of promising discovery. I think this must be what scientist's, researchers and artists in all fields live for in their work. The ultimate discovery or inspiration that takes them to places they never thought possible.


I suspect, that at times, I am so narrowly focused on what I seek, on what I think I need or want, that I miss other opportunities.  What if, we approached each day with an open mind to things that are outside our search parameters? 


Have you ever been looking for one thing and then accidentally discover something else that turned out to be better than what you were searching for in the first place?   If so, please share. 


Serendipity. Look for something, find something else, and realize that what you’ve found is more suited to your needs than what you thought you were looking for.
- Lawrence Block



Serendipity is looking in a haystack for a needle and discovering a farmer’s daughter.
- Julius Comroe Jr.



Famous Examples of Serendipity:

  1. Corn flakes and wheat flakes (Wheaties) were accidentally discovered by the Kellogs' brothers in 1898, when they left cooked wheat untended for a day and tried to roll the mass, obtaining a flaky material instead of a sheet. 
  2. The microwave oven was invented by Percy Spencer while testing a magnetron for radar sets at Raytheon, he noticed that a peanut candy bar in his pocket had melted when exposed to radar waves.
  3. A Swiss Engineer out walking was annoyed by the Burrs which attach to you when you are out walking. He examined one and found the burr had lots of little hooks. It took him then years to develop Velcro but it only became popular when Astronauts started using it.



2 comments:

  1. I love this word! I love what it means and the magic of it. Serendipity is a positive word and to me, a happy word. I honestly don't think serendipitous events occur that aren't lovely little accidents that bring us delight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! Actually I think it is my favorite word.

    ReplyDelete